1995 the Franz Josef Bahn (FJB) celebrated the 125 years jubilee.
The line was planned and constructed starting 1865 in order to connect
the capitals Vienna and Prag.
as a main line, it should also open up the crossed regions by branch
lines. At the territory of Bohemia, a branch line starting in Gmuend
(Ceske Velenice) goes to Budweis, Pilsen and Eger. At Austrian territory
there are branch lines to Waidhofen (Thaya), Raabs, Zwettl (Martinsberg),
Horn - Krems and Retz.
Gmuend NOe a narrow gauge railroad opens
up further areas. Many of those branch lines today already finished
the regular operation.
main line was rebuilt after world war two to a single track line
because of the "iron curtain" impact.
a long period the line had the character of a regional railroad.
But after the shutting down of the "iron curtain" the
line's significance increased again. Facing that circumstance the
Austrian Federal Railways (OeBB) started some modernisation program
including the line's electrification about mid of the 90s.
following photographs present the 310.23 during several special
trips at the FJB. Most of them taken before installation of electrical